Sunday, February 1, 2009

fun times and quick fixes





Well I had my first real adventure slash disaster with work. I did my first real run since I have been here. The USO does a tour here once a week for new people, well I was told I had to drive for it. It was ok because of course the tour guide told me everywhere to go. We drove around the base a little bit looking at the hot spots here then headed out the gate to go to K town witch is the biggest city closest to the base. It wasnt a bad gig because I got to go change out of uniform to go. My friend Mark that got here a week before me got to come to learn how it goes and all that good stuff. Well we get down to K town and we were going to follow the group on the tour so we could learn to. We park the bus right down town and let the group off. Once they all left I got off the bus and tried the lock on the door while it was still open to make sure it worked, it did. So I shut the door and locked it with the key. I tried it again just to make sure it still worked and sure enough it wouldnt unlock. I panicked so I just told the tour guide to go ahead without us. Me and Mark sat there and beat and pulled and pushed on that stupid door for fourty five minuets. Finally I called the shop and told our dispatcher. He told me he would send somebody down asap. Well after I got off the phone Mark and I started wondering if we could get the emergency exits open on the roof. Well good thing he is a small guy because a bus is pretty tall when you are lifting somebody up there. We did the whole foot in the hand climp up the shoulders and push his feet up the rest of the way. Well luckily the exits on top open from the outside so he got in and opened the emergency window in the back for me to crawl in. We got in and took the door lock apart from the inside and got it open. Luckily he had a little pocket knife with a fillips screw driver on it. Anyways we got that all done and the door open and hurried and called the shop back to have them call the maintenance guy back. Right as we got done with everything the group got back and the tour guide said "I thought you guys were coming with us." I just laughed and told her we were busy. So in the end when we got back to the shop we just got a good laugh with everybody because that would have been a nightmare if we had to send another bus down. After all that it was fun because we got to check out the shopping district and the fresh bakeries then we went to a really good restaurant for lunch, bonus the bus driver eats for free. Of course I one of the most expensive meals I could :)

4 comments:

  1. Even a simple trip to town turns into an adventure with you!!! That sounds like so much fun to get to cruise around Germany and find new cool spots to visit. I'm glad you're having a good time.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious. Good thing you are such a genius and have such huge guns to lift your friend up ;) Sounds like a ton of fun there. I love all the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your training has come in sooo handy. 45 minutes for a good meal you don't have to cook, sounds like my kind of job.

    ReplyDelete